Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I adapted this recipe which was handed out free at my local farmer's market. The original recipe was developed by Lindsey Thompson, a member of the Downtown Walla Wall (WA) Farmer's Market.
- 9 small beets
- 6 green onions
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 -3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Steam the beet until easily pierced by a fork, 20-40 minutes.
- Cool and peel and chop into one inch cubes.
- Slice green onions into 1/4 inch slices.
- Roughly chop the cilantro, removing large stems first.
- Put cilantro, beets, and green onions in serving bowl.
- Pour balsamic into a small bowl or ramekin, add salt and pepper.
- Whisk in olive oil till it thickens some. Adjust balsamic to taste.
- Add dressing to the salad, toss, and serve.
I received a copy of Lindsey's original recipe from a local farmer's market & made this salad a couple weeks ago, and we all loved this salad! I also made the change that you did by cooking the beets before peeling....much easier method to cook them before peeling. I simply peeled them off by rubbing the beets with my hands. Thanks for sharing your adaptation online so I could easily share the recipe weblink with friends.