Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Easy & delish, this has become a staple in our home. It tastes even better reheated the next day!
- 1 (16 ounce) packageuncooked orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) packagecrumbled feta (I use one with mediterranean herbs, but plain is OK too)
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook orzo according to package directions.
- While orzo is cooking, heat olive oil and margarine in a saucepan. Add garlic, basil and red pepper flakes and saute' 2-3 minutes. Add sunflower seeds, cook for one minute. Add spinach and heat through. Keep spinach mixture warm.
- Drain orzo & return to pot. Add spinach mixture, feta, chopped tomato, balsamic vinegar and salt. Mix well.
- Serve with grated parmesan to sprinkle on top.
I made this as a side to stuffed Salmon and it was wonderful!! I did substitute the sunflower seeds for about half as much toasted pine nuts and they fit in perfectly.