Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Very nice recipe for Sloppy Joes in a very large amount. (I only use 1/2 cup of the sugar and find that good)
- 20 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 4 large green peppers, chopped
- 4 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup spicy brown mustard
- 4 cups ketchup
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 6 -8 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 100 hamburger buns
- In a Large dutch oven, brown the beef, onion, peppers and celery in batches until meat is browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to a large roaster.
- Add the next eight ingredients. Cover and simmer 3-4 hours.
- Serve on buns.
I made this for a church group and it received rave reviews. It is definitely tastier than the canned sauces.