Recipe by newmama
I had never had or made shepherds pie but my dh requested it and I came up with this after looking at some recipes online.
Top Review by threeovens
This came out perfectly even though I used a beef shank that I pressure cooked ahead of time and cut into small cubes. I also did not put the cheddar cheese because I made the mashies salty enough. Made for Bargain Basement Tag.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 -4 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup chicken stock (or beef stock)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes in salted water.
- while potatoes are boiling brown beef with onion and carrot until cooked- drain fat off.
- add flour, stir well.
- add wine, thyme, paprika, ketchup, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- add chicken stock and frozen peas, cover and simmer until peas are cooked uncover and cook until it's thick.
- mash the potatoes with butter, milk, salt and pepper, stir in the egg.
- pour meat/veggie mixture into a 2.5-3 qt casserole and top with potatoes.
- sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.