Recipe by Ann60
My family loves these potatoes. I've taken them to picnics and holiday gatherings. The mayonnaise adds a wonderful flavor to this dish. It is an often requested recipe. I generally use light mayonnaise to save on fat and calories.
Top Review by Carrie G.
I was sick of making scalloped potatoes with cream soup and milk. I found this recipe and have made it for years. Always a family request. The only thing I do different is to add some shredded Cheddar cheese and garlic powder to make a light cheese sauce. Just watch the salt. My family loves cheese. Thanks for such an awesome recipe. Wont make my potatoes any other way.
- 5 large potatoes, pared and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 1 1/2 quart greased casserole, layer potatoes and onions.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and whisk until smooth and frothy.
- Gradually add the broth, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir until this mixture thickens.
- Pour over potatoes and onions. Sprinkle generously with paprika.
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.