1 hr 53 mins
Filling and nice, prawn lovers would like this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups of tender coconut, in pieces
- 15 -20 shelled and deveined prawns
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 fresh carrot, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 8 cloves
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup coconut, freshly grated/dessicated
- 1Heat oil in a pan.
- 2Add the bayleaf, cinnamon stick and cloves.
- 3Stir briefly, for about 30 seconds.
- 4Add corriander seeds, fennel seeds, sugar and cayenne pepper.
- 5Mix well.
- 6Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- 7Remove from flame.
- 8Keep aside.
- 9Pour the remaining oil in the pan.
- 10Add garlic and the sliced onion.
- 11Saute till the raw smell of garlic is gone and the onion is brown.
- 12Add coconut.
- 13Roast, on low-medium flame, till brown.
- 14Allow to cool.
- 15Grind to a smooth paste, adding water as necessary, alongwith the fried masala prepared above.
- 16Keep aside.
- 17Now, mix the pieces of tender coconut, prawns, potatoes, carrots and onions with the turmeric powder, curry powder and salt to taste.
- 18In another pan, heat 1 tbsp.
- 19of oil.
- 20Add asafoetida and the above mixture.
- 21Saute briefly, say for about 2-3 minutes.
- 22Add tomatoes alongwith 1 cup of water.
- 24Cook for 10 minutes.
- 25Add the above prepared masala paste.
- 26If desired, you may add a cup of thick coconut milk for extra flavour.
- 27Stir and bring to a boil.
- 28Serve hot with chappatis and/or rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tasty Prawns in Brown Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 714.1
- Calories from Fat 533
- Total Fat 59.2 g
- Saturated Fat 49.3 g
- Cholesterol 28.3 mg
- Sodium 179.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.3 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: