Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is NOT boring oatmeal! I've hooked many a "I don't care for oatmeal" folks w/ this one! Other than the basics (water, oats, & salt), the ingredients are optional and may be varied to suit individual tastes.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- cinnamon (I must use a teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries (see Notes below)
- Combine ingredients in microwave safe dish/pot. Nuke 2 mins 20 sec. Stir. If still "water-y," nuke 10-15 seconds.
- ***Note #1: I often use whatever fresh fruit I have on hand -- chopped apples, cut up bananas, fresh peaches, etc.
- ***Note #2: I also like to use dried fruit such as raisins, cherries, blueberries, etc. When using dried fruit, I like to nuke the fruit in enough water to cover for appx 2 mins, depending on the size of the fruit and it's estimated moisture content.
- ***Note #3: After nuking dried fruit, do not drain if there is any water left. Add the other ingredients to the pot and go from there.
- ***Note #4: Other than the water and oats, I don't actually measure the other stuff, just adding a handful of this and some of that.
Really good and easy. We used freeze dried cherries which worked great and tasted amazing!
I've been trying out some different oatmeal recipes out lately. This was my favorite. It has lots of that good traditional oatmeal flavor in the right amounts.
ii've been making my oatmeal in the microwave for a while and found your recipe for adding extra's. So far have added raisons, cried cranberries, pecans, slivered almonds, Splenda, Splenda brown sugar. and lite maple syrup. Not all at the same time. I sure makes oatmeal a lot more fun. And I save a love of money not buying the "instant" oatmeal packets. Thanks for the recipe.