Recipe by Anita Harris
This is my favorite recipe for Mexican rice. Tastes as good as any I've had in a Mexican restaurant. Found this recipe on the internet and am sure glad I did!
Top Review by Chef X-tina
In a pinch, I was able to scrounge up the necessary ingredients to make this quick, easy and cheap mexican side. My husband complimented me on it, and it took no time at all to whip together. Well done!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth (use broth, not water!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the rice and the onion. Cook, stirring constantly, until rice is lightly browned and onion is soft (watch carefully so as not to burn the rice). Sprinkle rice with garlic salt and ground cumin and stir.
- Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Do Not remove lid until cooking time is finished!
- When done, remove lid and fluff with a fork.