Looking to use up some stuff in my freezer, I came up with this recipe with things I had on hand. It is really tasty and made a great lasagna! There aren't many ingredients, so it's simple to make. You will need a larger pot for this.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (any variety, casings removed)
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (I used one crushed and one puree)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (I use Red Pack)
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup beef or 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup white zinfandel wine or 1⁄3 cup blush wine
- salt and pepper
- Remove sausage from casings.
- In a large pot, brown sausage and ground beef.
- Remove meat from pot and set aside.
- Remove excess grease (reserving some to saute veggies) from the pot and add carrot, onion and garlic.
- Cook until soft and onion is transparent.
- Add meat back into the pot, stirring mixture for about two minutes.
- Add wine and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to meat and veggie mixture.
- Bring sauce to quick boil.
- Simmer on low for at least 3 hours.
- If sauce beomes too thick for your taste, thin it with the broth.