Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 can no-salt-added pinto beans
- 1 can no-salt-added kidney beans
- 1 can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1 can low-sodium tomato puree
- 4 teaspoons oregano
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green peppers
- Brown ground beef, rinse under water.
- Brown peppers, onion and garlic.
- Mix all ingredients in crock pot.
- Let cook at low heat for 4- 8 hours.
- Ready when you get home from work!
This is perhaps the biggest life saver I have ever come across. Good, Low sodium food is very hard to come by. This recipie takes the cake! Be sure to stick to the measurements, as adding too much gives the chilli a rather large kick. If you stick to the recipie though it should come out sweet, with just a bit of a nip to it. Thank you nesta! :)
I made this for Xmas Eve, as the host of the house we went to was on an extremely low sodium diet. I was really pretty worried about how it would come out, considering the amount of salt that is normally found in tomato paste and beans. I used only no salt tomato products and cooked my own dried beans. I brought a salt shaker along for those who needed it. It came out far better than I expected, and this will be my base recipe from now on. Not nearly as bland as one might expect. But 3 Tablespoons of garlic powder? My wife would kill me for putting that much garlic in anything.
Well, I made a lot of changes, but it was a great starting point.Would rather not include a star rating, but have no choice.
Used ground turkey instead of beef, black beans instead of pinto, tomato sauce instead of puree, a whole lot of sauteed chopped garlic as well as garlic powder, habanero sauce instead of tabasco, less paprika and cumin, and added ground habanero to the cayenne. Certainly did not add the salt! Fiery good.
Next time, will avoid the cans and use actual beans.