Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a low fat banana bread recipe. It replaces most of the oil with applesauce. This is very moist and tasty. There's no sacrificing taste with this recipe! Enjoy! *** I have had great luck substituting with wheat flour. If you prefer it to stay a little less dense than wheat, then split it with one cup of each.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 bananas, over ripe
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (or powdered equivalent)
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips
- brown sugar, and cinnamon to top
- Mix oil, apple sauce and sugar with mixer.
- Mash bananas then mix with above.
- Add eggs, then mix.
- Add vanilla, baking soda, flour and salt, mixing by hand.
- Stir in buttermilk and chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased loaf pans.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon powder together and crumble on top just before putting it into the oven.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until it tests done with a toothpick.
Delicious! So easy to mix and bake. Thanks for sharing Brittta. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011.
The first time I tried this recipe I couldn't believe it was low fat! It is very moist with tons of flavor! It has become a top notch favorite in the entire family. As soon as the last piece is eaten, the KIDS ask for more to be made. I won't let this recipe go.