Recipe by Um Safia
This a low calorie recipe for a really tasty lenil dish. You can use your favourite veggie sausage inthis recipe. Ready in 30 minutes it is super tasty & super quick which makes it perfect for weekday nights! You can also use dried green lentils for this but make sure you soak them overnight, drain, rinse & boil for 30 minutes (or until soft) before adding to the recipe.
Top Review by Annacia
This made a delicious and quick dinner last night. I used veggie sausage patties that I crumbled and added to the lentils and lovely fresh organic veggies. I went a bit heavier on the herbs just because I do love them so and I used basil, oregano, cayenne and saffron. Yummy. healthy and satisfying. what more could you ask!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled & diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried herbs (oregano, basil, margoram etc)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 large vegetarian sausages
- 800 g green lentils (2x400g cans)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a pan. Add the onion, carrot & celery, then cover & cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic & cook uncovered for a few more minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stcok cube & sugar & cook until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan & cook the sausages until cooked through & nicely browned.
- Add the lentils to the sauce & simmer for 5 minutes. Either serve the sausages on top of the lentil or chop the sausages up into bite sized pieces & mix with the lentils.