Recipe by Lennie
This can either be served over rice, or in pita breads with chopped tomato and onion and a garlic sauce like tzatziki. Prep time includes lots of marinating time.
- 3 lbs boneless leg of lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed and seeded,and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed and seeded,and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1⁄2 lb small fresh mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before, marinate lamb: In a large glass or plastic bowl, place lamb chunks.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, oregano, and pepper.
- Pour over lamb, seal tightly, and refrigerate overnight (if you must do this closer to dinner, marinate for at least a few hours).
- At dinner time, preheat grill or broiler.
- Drain marinade from lamb chunks and place meat on skewers, alternating with peppers and mushrooms (if using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before using so they won't burn).
- Grill or broil 5 to 7 minutes on one side, then turn and cook for 5 minutes more; cook longer if desired.
- When meat is done to your liking, place skewers on a warmed platter and serve immediately.