Recipe by JoyfulCook
A lovely comfort food, so full of flavor with an Italian theme...and as my Italian niece's husband always says--its that little bit of garlic and olive oil that makes the meal!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 large onions, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 ounces smoked ham
- 420 g chunky tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs (with chili flakes)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 cup hot water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Strip skin off the chicken - leaving in the thigh bone ( for extra flavor) and dust with flour.
- Preheat oven to 180-190C or microwave.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan, and when hot add the chicken and brown slowly. turning as needed.
- Place in a large oven-proof dish or casserole.
- Add the Onions, garlic, ham, celery, and peppers to the fry pan and cook for a few minutes, stirring.
- Add the wine, chicken stock cubes, Italian herb seasoning - salt and pepper and extra water to the fry pan.
- Once boiled, add to the chicken. Place in an oven for 1 1/2 hours or microwave first on high until the dish starts bubbling, then set on 30% for 40 minutes.
- Serve with new potatoes or rice and vegetables of your choice.