Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great accompaniment to a curry, really tasty and easy! Note: for the sultanas just use a generous handful
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot (chopped)
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 150 g rice
- 4 tablespoons sultanas
- 500 ml chicken stock or 500 ml vegetable stock
- Heat the oil and fry onion until softened.
- Add all the other flavouring ingredients except rice, sultanas, and stock. Heat until becoming aromatic (don't burn them!).
- Add rice, sultanas, and stock, mix.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes depending on the rice you are using. Best way is to check every now and again to see how far along they are.
- If necessary drain excess stock, season, and serve.
With Crock Pot Chicken Vindaloo this was awesome. I used a combination of Garam Masala recipes, used peas instead of the santanas and pearl onions because I was too lazy to chop one. YUM.
Delicious! I would recommend simmering & steeping the spices then straining them out as picking out cardamom pods & whole cloves wasn't appealing. Made for My 3 Chefs 11/08.