Recipe by Baby Kato
Haddock is one of my favorite fish and this is my favorite chowder. This dish is wonderful served with a crusty white bread and sweet butter. If you don't drink, the chowder tastes great without the sherry...also. Please feel free to add additional spices/herbs or additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes or 3 medium russet potatoes, not peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1⁄8 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs haddock
- 16 ounces half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 1 ounce sherry wine, harvey bristol cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a large pan saute the onions and shallots in butter.
- Add the potatoes and carrotes to onion mixture.
- Now add just enough water to cover the vegetable mixture and boil 10- 15 minutes.
- *DONOT OVERCOOK THE FISH.
- Add the fish to the vegetable mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the fish and shred.
- Return the shredded fish to the onion and potatoe mixture.
- Add the half and half cream and frozen peas to the vegetable and fish mixture.
- Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Heat gently on low for 20 minutes not allowing chowder to boil.
- Remove the chowder from heat, stir in the sherry and add the chopped parsley for garnish.
- Serve with warm crusty bread and enjoy.