Recipe by Vegan Courtney
From a whole foods flyer. These are easy and fun to grill up. Even our non vegan friends like them. The sweet and spicy mustard is definitely the key. These are good as a main dish or an appetizer.
Top Review by TreeSquirrel
I really enjoyed the kick of the flavors! I used 1/4 cup regular/plain mustard and 1/4 cup Wasabi mustard with a dollop of honey mixed together. I also didn't have any wooden skewers so I simply sliced the tofu block into 6 equal slices. These came out crispy and browned off the grill. Next time around I will try to freeze the tofu and then thaw it for a meatier texture, as I found this recipe to leave the tofu slightly moister than I like. I also would try a sweet and sour sauce instead of the mustard (personal preference). This is definitely worth trying variations on!
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup sweet and spicy mustard
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1 pinch chili pepper (to taste)
- olive oil, in a spray mister
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the tofu in 3 equal sections lengthwise, and then cut each slice in half to make six tofu sticks.
- Remove excess moisture from each tofu stick by wrapping in a towel or paper towel and squeezing the tofu juice out.
- Using a knife or brush, spread mustard onto each side of each stick.
- Place the sticks in a large enough container to lay them in one layer.
- Let them marinate in the fridge for as little as three hours or as long as overnight.
- After marinating tofu, remove from refrigerator.
- Place seasoned breadcrumbs on a plate, add chili pepper and mix together with a fork.
- Place each tofu stick on a skewer or use a fork to coat each side with the breadcrumb mix.
- Mist each side of each stick with olive oil.
- Cook on the grill until browned and crispy, or cook in the oven at 375 on a greased baking sheet for 10 minutes or until brown and crispy.