Recipe by HokiesMom
From TOH Holiday magazine submitted by D. Clay. A luscious pie that has a beautiful presentation. Different from the other pies listed on this site and possibly a bit more labor intensive. Prep time does not include time to bake the pastry shell. Passive time includes the time necessary to chill in the refrigerator.
FOR THE PIE
- 1 (4 ounce) package German sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 (9 inch) pastry shells, baked
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- ****FOR THE PIE****.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter together, stirring until smooth. Stir in vanilla and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and milk until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer; then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, stir a small amount of the hot filling into the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer; then remove from heat.
- Gently stir in chocolate mixture into the hot filling mixture.
- Spoon all into the pre-baked pastry shell.
- ****FOR THE TOPPING****.
- In a small saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar and butter.
- Cook and stir until butter is melted and mixture just comes to a boil; then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, stir a small amount of the hot liquid into the lightly beaten egg; return all to the pan; stirring constantly.
- Bring up to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove topping from heat and stir in coconut and pecans.
- Pour over the pie filling.
- Cool on a wire rack then cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Leftovers have to be refrigerated.