Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A --Tasty Dish-- Original. Can you find romanesco in season in the month of December where you live? I hope so! PS You can use other types of vegetables or fruits for the Christmas tree "ornaments" (red seedless grapes, sliced black olives, for example.) The number one rule? Use your imagination! *Requires adult supervision* (Eat your heart out, Martha Stewart.)
- 1 head romanesco (stem and clusters intact, leaves removed)
- 8 -10 small cherry tomatoes (amount is my guess) or 8 -10 red grape tomatoes, cut in half (amount is my guess)
- 1 star fruit
- raw sugar
- Place the whole romanesco head on a firm surface.
- ORNAMENTS: Slice the tomatoes (or other vegetables/fruit) in half and place each half on a variety of colored toothpicks cut in half.
- CHRISTMAS TREE: Arrange the tomatoes by pushing them in cut side facing in or out (your choice!)randomly into the romanesco "Christmas tree".
- STAR: Cut one 1/2" slice of star fruit. Dip the star fruit slice in a little bit of raw sugar. (If you want to dye the sugar first with your favorite color you can!).
- Place a toothpick through the bottom of the star fruit slice and arrange on top of the Christmas tree. Sparkly!
- If you want, you can drape a "Christmas tree skirt" such as a small round piece of holiday fabric, around the base of the tree.