Recipe by SteenyAlls
I can't ever leave a recipe alone, I guess it's my creative nature.... I found the original version of this on Food network, but changed it up, a lot...
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made several of changes when making this chowder ~ I made just half a batch & used 2 thin slices of bacon, a fat-free chicken broth & 2% fat milk instead of the half-and-half, & left out the salt (For us there was plenty of sodium in everything else that I used)! And, I did add a can of creamed corn! That's a lot more changes than I usually include when making a recipe for the first time! AND STILL WE LIKED IT, so what else is there to say! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]
- 8 ounces thick sliced bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 3 cups medium diced potatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth (I just added bulion to water.)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 5 cups corn, kernals. (if you use frozen, I recommend supersweet white corn!)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the bacon with the olive oil in the bottom of a big pot, (this makes a lot of soup!) until it's crispy, remove and save for later.
- Add the chopped onions to the bacon fat and olive oil, add the butter too, simmer 'til the onions are translucent, add the garlic and cook a minute longer.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper, coriander, and tarragon, cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the broth and potatoes and boil for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the half and half, corn, and cheese, boil for another 5 minutes.
- Chop the bacon and add the soup.