1/1 Photo of Tasty Collard Greens
2 hrs 30 mins
Would be equally as good with turnip or mustard greens or even kale. *I do the cooking of the smoked turkey leg a day ahead, refrigerate and then skin the congealed fat off the top of the broth. This is our favorite method of cooking greens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute garlic until light brown. Add turkey leg and chicken broth, cover and simmer until turkey leg is tender. Remove turkey leg and cool slightly so comfortable to remove and chop meat and return turkey meat to pot. *(See note above in the description.).
- 2Add collard greens and turn heat up to medium-high and let the greens cook down for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Reduce the heat and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (if desired.).
- 4Continue to cook until greens are tender - about 45 to 60 minutes.
- 5Drain greens and reserve liquid to reheat leftovers. I often freeze some of the liquid and use with frozen greens at another time.
Browse Our Top Collard Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tasty Collard Greens
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.2
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 217.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked turkey legs