Recipe by terirose22
I originally got the recipe for this super hearty soup from a Home Made Simple newsletter, and have tweaked it over time. I've seen lots of variations, but I didn't find this exact same recipe already, so I'm posting the (essentially) original version for safekeeping. Everyone LOVES it, because it's not super spicy, just flavorful. It's simple to add, subtract, or substitute to suit your needs, it's fine with lower fat or lower sodium items, and it uses mostly pantry items for a quick lunch, or light supper. I've even tripled it to serve a crockpot full at PTA functions...always a hit! My daughter says it makes her tummy purr!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 2 cups corn tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons light sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the chicken in the olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and mix well.
- Stir in the broth, corn, onion, chillies, black beans, chili powder, lemon juice, and salsa.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Break up some tortilla chips into individual bowls and ladle soup over chips.
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream, and additional broken tortilla chips.