1/2 Photos of Tasty Chicken & Fennel Soup in a Crock Pot
5 hrs 30 mins
Baby Kato's Note:
Autumn is here and winter is on the way, what could be easier or smell better than a nice warming bowl of soup made in the crock pot. This soup is nice and thick and could easily pass for a stew...Feel free to add or omit any of the listed vegetables just as long as you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 fennel bulb, small, trimmed, quartered, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 celery hearts, thinly sliced
- 1 tart apple, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mushroom, button, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 skinless chicken thighs, deboned, remove all fat
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2-inch piece
- 1/2 cup great white beans, canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 1/2 cups spinach, baby
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, good quality, coarsely shredded
- 1/8 cup asiago cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1Lightly spray Crock-Pot with cooking spray.
- 2In the crock pot add fennel, onion, carrot, parsnips, celery hearts, apple, mushrooms and garlic in slow cooker.
- 3Stir in 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper and make sure to spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the pot.
- 4Cut the chicken thighs into 6 equal pieces. Season the chicken chunks with the remaining salt and pepper.
- 5Next place the chicken on top of the vegetable mixture.
- 6Pour in the apple cider and chicken broth and cover.
- 7Set slow cooker on high and cook for 1 hour.
- 8Reduce heat to low setting and continue to cook for 2 additional hours.
- 9Next add the cinnamon stick, orzo and beans, cover and cook on low for 1 1/2 hours, then remove the cinnamon stick.
- 10Now check to see if orzo and chicken are tender and too your liking, if not, cook the soup for an additional 30 - 45 minutes.
- 11Place the baby spinach on top of the chicken but do not stir.
- 12Cover and continue to cook on low for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- 13Now, turn off the heat, add the parmesan cheese and stir the spinach and cheese into the chicken soup, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- 14Garnish with the Asiago cheese and serve with nice heavy white bread and butter.
Browse Our Top Equipment Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tasty Chicken & Fennel Soup in a Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.3
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 49.0 mg
- Sodium 1190.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 23.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: