Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Even people who don't like cabbage have enjoyed this recipe! Really tasty and different.We have made this with coleslaw mix,(in the greens section of your market) to save time with shredding the cabbage! It is really a quick and easy casserole...great tasting, and versatile! We have added different things to it, changing it often. (example: cubed ham, green peppers, tuna, etc)Very inexpensive meal.Great for a "change" of veggie!
- 1 head of cabbage (thinly sliced, about 12 cups)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
- 8 ounces American cheese (cubed)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Place cabbage in saucepan with one-inch of water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 3-5 minutes, or till crisp tender.
- Drain and set aside, the cabbage.
- In a large skillet, melt 5 tablespoons of butter.
- Saute onions until tender.
- Add the soup, undiluted, and mix well.
- Add the cheese, heating and stirring until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in cabbage.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Transfer to ungreased 2 quart Casserole Dish.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Add Bread crumbs, cook till lightly browned.
- Put crumbs on top of casserole ingredients.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 20-30 minutes.
I loved this! I love cabbage anyways, but this was really good and really easy to make. I followed the recipe except for substituting cream of celery soup(I always have cream of mushroom in the house, but not this time) and that seemed fine. I think I will use the cream of mushroom though next time. Very nice side dish for kielbasa!!!
Love this! Cabbage tastes like cauliflower and I love them both so it's a winner for me!
Wow! This was awesome. My DH, who doesn't like cooked cabbage said "This is damn good.* I will definitely be making this again.