Recipe by Engineer in the Kitchen
I adapted these muffins from a recipe in Vegetarian Times Magazine. Very flavorful muffin and good for you.
Top Review by kelsbog
These turned out fantastic. I didn't have any over ripe bananas on hand so I roasted my yellow one at 325 for 20 minutes. It REALLY ups the sweetness and banana flavor! I used oat bran instead of wheat and added chocolate chips because my son has an egg allergy. This is definitely a keeper. Thank you!
- 1 1⁄2 cups ripe bananas, mashed (3 bananas)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Spray 6 big muffin tins (texas or jumbo size) and set aside.
- Mix first 6 ingredients together and set aside.
- Mix both types of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle, and add banana mixture. Stir until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold the pecans.
- Divide the dough into the muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.