Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe off a package of blackeyed peas and tweaked it a little bit. This is the way I always make our New Years blackeyed peas.
- 8 ounces bacon
- 1 (11 ounce) packagefresh black-eyed peas
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces. Brown bacon and remove, discarding bacon drippings.
- Combine peas, bacon, broth, pepper, soy sauce and ketchup and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to med-low, cover and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Make sure it doesn't boil dry,.
- Remove to a serving dish and sprinkle with green onions.
Excellent recipe! I used fresh purple-eyed peas from the Farmers Market and added about 3/4 cup of finely chopped baby kale in the last minute of cooking. Yum!
Yummy! I normally just cook my peas with some bacon or salt pork, but this was delicious! No need to add salt...plenty with the soy sauce, bacon, and ketchup. I recommend no salt or sodium free chicken broth. This is close enough to "traditional" to satisfy old-timers, but adds a twist to please everyone. Thanks for sharing!