Recipe by HEP MEP
This was originally a Jane Brody recipe called Company Rice with Beans, but I've changed it so much over the years, that I'm claiming it as my very own! It's a great meatless main course and of course, very tasty! I add more or less of things too, depending on how the vegetables look when I'm shopping. Feel free to play with it!
- 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup white rice, cooked according to package directions, and kept warm
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely minced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 -2 medium zucchini, diced or coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 (8 ounce) jar picante sauce or 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 (16 ounce) can beans, drained (kidney, black,garbanzo etc.)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- fresh ground pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat the oil, add the onion, green pepper and garlic; saute till softened.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, oregano,and rosemary.
- Cover the skllet and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, green chilies, and picante sauce to taste.
- Simmer the mixture stirring occasionally until it's heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- To serve, spoon the veggie-bean mixture over the hot rice; sprinkle with cheese, and hot sauce if desired.