Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I like this recipe because it is easy to make and has a stronger taste of banana than most banana breads. It is also a low calorie, low fat recipe. It creates a tasty, chewy on the edges banana bread. This recipe comes from a Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook titled "New Dieter's Cookbook". You can also make this vegan by substituting one medium banana mashed/beaten till liquidy or 1 tablespoon ground flax seed plus 3 tablespoons water for the egg whites. It is very delicous and moist any way you decide to make it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- cooking spray
- Set oven to 350.
- Spray loaf pan with cooking spray In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl stir together egg whites, banana, sugar, and oil.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients until mixture is just moistened.
- Pour into into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.
- Wrap bread in plastic wrap and store overnight.
I have been using this recipe for years. Had to look it up because I can't find my cookbook. I make muffins. Make sure to not over bake and they will be moist. Also filling measuring cup to a rounded top with banana is how I like to make them.
This was very tasty! Excellent choice if you don't like nuts in it (and easy to add if you do!) This made a perfect loaf of banana bread and it was enjoyed up at my hubby's office! Thanks for the wonderful recipe! Made for the Let's P-A-R-T-Y cooking event :)
Every Christmas I make Banana Bread,zuchinni bread,pumpkin bread and strawberry bread to give for Christmas cheer,and for small gifts.And this year I chose this recipe to use for my banana bread,and I got many compliments on it.so am putting this one up to use every year.Thank you so much for this recipe. Darlene