Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (at least 80%)
- 1 (1 ounce) packageinstant onion and mushroom soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley or 1⁄4 cup green onion
- 1⁄4 cup steak sauce
- 8 slices white cheddar cheese (1 oz. slices) or 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese (1 oz. slices)
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick slices
- olive oil
- 8 onion hamburger buns, split
- 8 small bibb lettuce (8 small leaves)
- 1⁄2 cup ranch dressing or 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Prepare and heat a gas or charcoal grill, medium heat.
- In a big bowl, mix ground beef, soup mix, parsley, and steak sauce until well blended.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties, about 3/4-inch thick.
- Place patties on grill; cover grill; cook over medium heat 13-15 minutes, turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in center of patties reads 160°.
- Top each burger patty with cheese slice (if desired, cut in half diagonally); cook just until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, brush onion slices with olive oil; add to grill last 5-8 minutes of cooking time for patties.
- To toast buns, place cut side down on grill during last 1-2 minutes of cooking time.
- Layer buns with lettuce, ranch dressing, burger patties, bacon, tomato slices, and onion slices.
- *1 burger--590 calories, 37 g fat, 3 g fiber.
Very scrummy and holds well together.