Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
When I was brought this meal by a wonderful lady after having a baby, I thought I had died and gone to comfort food heaven! I loved the recipe and when she told me the ingredients I was stunned that something so good could be so fast and easy to throw together and less than 5 ingredients! This is a great last minute dish idea for potlucks or get togethers and nobody quite believes that it is four ingredients! You can make it your own..but here it is in its simple original form: We prefer not to overdo it with the cracker topping ...and by all means try to eat it in one day. The crackers get soggy overnight in the fridge. Update: I made this using leftover turkey and added some frozen veggies. It wasn't as good as just the easy peazy recipe as stated. So, do make it your own but be sure and try it just like this first so you know how it is supposed to taste. Simple is better, here.
- 2 -4 chicken breasts, cubed (cube while raw for fastest prep time)
- 29 ounces reduced-fat cream of chicken soup (2 cans)
- 17 Ritz crackers (or a whole sleeve, crushed..can also use saltines)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (or butter sub)
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 1 cup prepared couscous
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, put raw cubed chicken (cut it up with a pair of scissors to make quick work of it). Just cover with water, add a lid to the pot and bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook no more than 3-4 minutes after bringing to the boiling point. Drain chicken and reserve.
- Melt butter in microwave in a microwaveable bowl. Crush Ritz crackers coarsely in the sleeve (I guessed at the amount needed.just use a sleeve). Don't pulverize them to powder. You want to be able to still see 1/4 inch bits in there. Stir crushed crackers into the melted butter.
- In a seperate microwave safe bowl, heat the two cans of cream of chicken soup until hot.about 90 seconds. Stir well. If it's not hot, nuke one more minutes (watch out.the stuff explodes if you overdo it!).
- Stir cubed and cooked chicken with hot soup. If using, mix in Monterey Jack all except 2 tablespoons Put mixture in a casserole dish and top with the buttered crackers and the reserved 2 tbsp of cheese. Bake, uncovered about 20 minutes or until crackers are golden brown and crispy.
- If you are adding the cous couse, prepare the cous cous (takes 5 minutes for the cous cous) and add the prepared cous cous at the same time you stir together all the ingredients.