Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Well someone thinks so. This is an adaptation, not a secret recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef (80% lean)
- cold water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- hot dog, grilled
- hot dog bun, steamed
- plain yellow mustard
- chopped onion
- Make the chili--soak ground beef in cold water for 30 minutes and drain; this ensures that the beef will remain free of lumps and cook up into the proper consistency typical of Coney- and Texas-style sauces.
- Place drained beef in a medium saucepan; add onion and spices, and mix well.
- Stir in the 2 cups water and place over medium heat.
- Cook the chili, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, or until it thickens.
- The chili may be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Assembly: place hot dogs in buns and top with mustard, chili, and onion; serve immediately.