2 hrs 30 mins
This was made by a friend of mine who is in a recipe club and everyone loved it!! If you like mounds bar candy, you will love this cake!! Read all of the recipe before you start, it does take a while to make but OH MY GOD, it's worth it!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g box devil's food cake mix
- 99.22 g package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml Kahlua
- 177.44 ml water
- 3 eggs
- 226.79 g ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate, chopped into bits
- 113.39 g whipping cream
- 1Preheat over to 350°F
- 2Put all ingredients for the cake in a bowl. Mix on low for 1 minute to combine. Scrape bowl.
- 3Mix on medium high for a full 3 minutes to make it light and fluffy.
- 4Spray an Angel tube pan or bundt pan with baker's spray. Pour batter in pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until done.
- 5Let cool in pan and then turn out onto you serving platter. While cake is cooling, make topping and frosting.
- 6Put chopped chocolate in heatproof bowl.
- 7Heat cream in a saucepan on medium high until it starts to boil.
- 8As soon as it starts to bubble, pull it off the heat and pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Stir immediately with a whisk to incorporate the cream into the chocolate.
- 9Stir until completely melted. Let it cool.
- 10When it gets to spreading consistency you want to coat your cake. (This will take a while, depending on the humidity).
- 11For the topping, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt to a heavy saucepan. Add the coconut milk and cream of coconut. Heat on medium heat and stir until smooth and starts to boil. Stir until it thickens, about 5 - 7 minutes. Keep stirring so that it does not stick to pan.
- 12Take the pan off the heat and pour the mixture into a larger bowl and add shredded coconut. Stir to combine. Let this cool completely. (It will start to look like the inside of a mounds bars).
- 13Take about a half cup of the topping and stuff it into the middle of the cake (the hole). Fill it to the rim and flatten off with a table knife.
- 14Then frost cake, the frosting will be smooth and runny so the technique here is to place a dollop of frosting on the top of cake, coax it over to the side with knife so it starts to run down the side. Spread smoothly along the side of cake.
- 15Take cake and put it in the refrigerator until the frosting firms up just like the candy bar. This will take about 30 minutes or so.
- 16After that, take cake out of refrigerator and you are going to mound the remaining half of your coconut topping on the top of the cake. Place back in the refrigerator for about 30 to an hour.
- 17I know that this sounds like a lot of work, but this cake is truly decadent!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for " Tastes Like Mounds Bar " Kahlua Cake
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.5
- Calories from Fat 341
- Total Fat 37.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 59.4 mg
- Sodium 563.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 67.9 g
- Protein 5.6 g