Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
I posted this recipe because it has a lot of fond memories for me. My step DS lived with me and DH while he was going to college. This kid was 6'2", weighed about 170 pounds, had 2 hollow legs and could eat you out of house and home. I had an umbilical cord from me to the stove in those days in addition to a full time job. I was always trying to come up with quick, easy and inexpensive meals. Well, this was one of them. The first time I cooked it my step DS looked a bit skeptical but after he tasted it he renamed it to "Tastes Better Than It Looks". I hope you agree.
- 2 lbs lean ground meat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 6 -8 red potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 10 slices individually wrapped American cheese (2/3 ounce each)
- black pepper
- red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground meat with onions, bell pepper, celery and minced garlic.
- Drain off any excess oil.
- Add drained corn and seasoningsto ground meat.
- Layer half of ground meat mixture in 9x13 pan.
- Place sliced potato rounds on top of ground meat.
- Spoon one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup on top of potatoes.
- Place 5 slices of cheese on top of soup.
- Layer remaining ground meat and then top with remaining can of Cream of Mushroom soup.
- Place remaining 5 slices of cheese on top of soup.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes to one hour or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove foil and bake a few more minutes or until edges are slightly crusty.