Recipe by WizzyTheStick
Take your taste buds on a Caribbean holiday with this salad that is bursting with flavour! The chicken can be made ahead so that this salad comes together in a flash for a light dinner. My personal preference is Walkerswood jerk rub but if you can't access it, Jamaican Jerk Marinade is also quite good.
Top Review by lindseylcw
We really loved this, I made it with a shop bought jerk rub but will try your recipe next time. Used to live next door to Jamaicans in London and this tasted very like the lovely food they would kindly share with me.
- 453.59 g boneless chicken strips (you can use chicken breasts but I prefer the dark more succulent meat of the legs and thighs.)
- 9.85 ml walkerswood hot and spicy jamaican jerk spice (2 tsp is the amount recommended but I put 2 to 3 tbp. It's to your taste.)
- 3.69 ml canola oil
- 59.14 ml cooking butter
- 14.79 ml white wine vinegar (or regular vinegar if that's all you have on hand)
- 44.37 ml lime juice
- 14.79 ml finely chopped fresh culantro (or 2 tablespoons cilantro)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.25 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1419.54 ml torn lettuce
- 8 cherry tomatoes (halved or quartered)
- 1 medium avocado, pitted peeled and coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- The chicken can be done the day before.
- Rub legs and thighs with butter and jerk seasonings. Marinate for 1/2 hr or overnight. Grill or roast in 375°F oven for 45 mins to an hour or until chicken is no longer pink when pierced with a fork. Baste chicken with butter throughout cooking process.
- In a screw top jar, combine 1/4 cup oil, lime juice, culantro (or sub cilantro, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and dash black pepper. Cover and shake well to make the dressing.
- Arrange on lettuce on 4 salad plates. Top with chicken, tomatoes, and avocado. Drizzle with dressing.