Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from a dollar store cookbook.
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Mocha Cream Frosting
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift flour with cocoa, soda, cinnamon. baking powder, and salt.
- Cream shortening; add sugar gradually, creaming together until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, beating thoroughly.
- Combine buttermilk, coffee, and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture, alternating with liquid, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Pour batter into a well greased and floured 9-inch square pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (350°F) for 35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Frost with Mocha Cream Frosting.
- Mocha Cream Frosting:.
- Sift sugar, cocoa, ans salt together.
- Cream butter and gradually add part of the sugar mixture, blending after each addition until light and fluffy.
- Add remaining sugar alternately with coffee mixture, until of the right consistency to spread, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Blend in vanilla.