Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
These are great any time of year, but with home grown basil and tomatoes they are so much better tasting! Grill or broil so that the bread is golden brown on each side.
- 6 slices sourdough bread (sandwich style)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 large firm ripe tomatoes (sliced 1/4 inch thick)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Brush each side of bread lightly with olive oil.
- Layer evenly with basil, tomato slices, mozzarella slices; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Make into sandwiches and broil or grill until cheese is evenly melted, turning to evenly melt cheese.
- Cook about two minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately.
I used fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden. This recipe certainly lives up to the name.
Thanks so much for this simple yet delicious recipe.
Caprese is one of my favorite salads and now I can have something a little heartier with the same great flavor! Love, love, love this simple recipe. I might add a sprinkling of basalmic vinegar next time but this is great as written. Thanks for posting!