Recipe by Aunt Willie
Inspired by a cheeseburger pie recipe clipped from a magazine,I made this up while hungry for tacos. I didn't have any taco shells, so I used pie crust.
Top Review by vrvrvr
Heaven on a plate. I made pie crust from scratch. I didn't have taco seasoning, so I used a little Goya Sazon seasoning along with cumin and basil, then mixed in a little flour dissolved in chicken broth. Things thickened up just fine. I gave the pie 10 minutes to set up once removed from the oven. We couldn't stop eating this! So delicious. Went well with a big salad and pinto bean saute. This one is a winner!
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels or 3⁄4 cup canned corn kernel
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, deseeded and sliced
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use a mix of Jack and Cheddar)
- sliced olive (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown hamburger and onion, until meat is no longer pink.
- Drain off fat.
- Add green pepper, corn and jalapeños; stir.
- Add envelope of taco seasoning and the amount of water the envelope calls for.
- Simmer until thick.
- Add salsa and stir.
- Line a pie plate with 1/2 crust pastry.
- Pour in hamburger mixture.
- Top with cheese and sliced olives.
- Place remaining half of crust pastry on top and seal edges.
- Cut several slits into top of crust for steam to escape.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes until crust is golden.