Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a whole wheat bread that my mom has been making weekly for 25 years. This bread makes the most wonderful toast, and is super with a cup of Cocoa.
- 6 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast (2 pkgs)
- 1 cup honey or 1 cup brown sugar or 1 cup molasses
- 2 cups powdered milk
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup oil
- 6 -8 cups white flour
- Step one:.
- Mix together Water and Yeast, let rest for 5 minutes. Then add Honey,(or Brown sugar or Molasses)Powdered Milk,Whole Wheat Flour and White Flour. Beat all these ingredients together well. This batter will be thick. Once well mixed, let rise 1 hour.
- Step Two:.
- Fold in Salt,Oil and Flour. Use more Flour as needed to Knead bread.
- Let Bread rise for 50 minutes, then punch down. Let rise 40 more minutes then shape into loaves. This makes approximately 5 loaves. Put loaves into greased pans.
- Let loaves rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- When you remove the loaves from the oven, take a stick of Butter or Margarine and rub it over the top crust of the bread for a softer crust. Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes and remove to cooling racks.
- Now when my mom makes this Bread, she makes half of the loaves with Cinnamon,Sugar,a little melted Butter and Raisins (my Husbands favorite) Make those loaves just like you would a Cinnamon Roll - flatten the dough out and spread the rest of the ingredients on the dough, then roll back up and put in pans.
Wonderful bread. I own the book; it's a great resource. The best thing about this bread is that it encourages you to be flexible. I usually grind a few cups of wheat berries, but I often will grind up oats or soybeans to change the recipe a little. (The oat flour helps to keep the bread moist. The soybeans add protein.) Experiment with this recipe - you may come across a winner.
I highly recommend waiting for the bread to cool completely before slicing it.
The book contains a half-recipe that makes four loaves. I'd recommend using only 1 tablespoon of salt (the recipe calls for two, which makes a very salty bread).