1/1 Photo of Tashkent Non (Uzbeki Bread)
3 hrs 30 mins
Courtesy of instructables.com, which has some great photos. This is a light and fluffy bread that is sold everywhere in Tashkent. The bread is traditionally baked in a tandyr oven, but we will make do with our ovens. The author states that is is addictively delicious with honey and butter (well, buttery lard is what he said, but I don't think so!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve the yeast in the water.
- 2Add the flours and salt to make a soft dough.
- 3Turn out and knead until it's smooth, but still a little sticky.
- 4Let rise in a warm place for two hours, or until doubled.
- 5Turn out and divide into 4 pieces.
- 6Form each pieace into a flattened round. Press in the center section of each round - you don't want it to rise as much.
- 7Let rest, covered, on a lightly floured surface for about 20 minutes.
- 8Preheat oven to 450 or 475 deg - if you have a pizza stone or quarry tiles, use those, otherwise use a cookie sheet.
- 9Press down the center of each round again, and then press in a chekich, if you happen to have one, or prick the center area with a fork - the chekich makes a nice pattern - star shapes etc. - so why not use your fork to make a nice pattern, too? Do this just before putting into the oven, so if your oven will not hold all four loaves at once, hold off on the ones that are staying on the counter.
- 10Lightly brush the loaf with milk, oil or melted lard and sprinkle with nigella or sesame seeds.
- 11Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 12Best eaten hot or within a day or so.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tashkent Non (Uzbeki Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (1049 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.6
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 879.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 16.0 g