Recipe by Thierry Schwartz
Well there are hundreds of different BBQ sauces out there, this is mine. I came up with it while I was playing around with making a sauce to go on some baby backs. Over time friends and family have enjoyed this sauce I hope you will too. With 4 different types of Peppers this BBQ Sauce is definitely spicy and a little sweet from the honey and molasses. Just the perfect balance of HOT and SWEET. Good luck, have fun and eat well.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 onion, large, finely minced
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bacon fat in saucepan over medium high heat till hot, add onions and jalapeno, saute till onions are golden brown. Add Garlic and continue sauting till garlic is fragrant (30 seconds).
- Add Ketchup, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and honey, mix and bring to a simmer.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir to mix well, and simmer mixture, uncovered, for about 10-20 minutes to thicken sauce a bit. Sometimes I simmer mine in the crock pot for a couple hours to get a real thick BBQ sauce.
- Sauce should be thick enough to cling to ribs, yet pourable. Cool sauce and store in air-tight glass or plastic container.
- Store in the Refrigerator.