Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Great!full
This is a delicious and decadent pudding. The straining and blending make it lusciously smooth and creamy, something I probably should have been doing to all my puddings over the years. This is just the ticket to satisfying my chocoholic husband. Thank you for posting!
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, plus
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a large heat-proof container.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk and cream; heat to just under a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the cornstarch and sugar; sift in the cocoa powder; whisk until blended.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the salt until blended, then add to the sugar mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Slowly add half of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture while whisking constantly.
- Pour the combined egg mixture back into the pan with the rest of the milk mixture; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture has visibly thickened and reads 208° on a thermometer, should take about 5-7 minutes, depending on how cold your eggs are.
- Immediately pour the contents of the pan through the sieve.
- Add the chocolate and let the heat of the milk/egg mixture melt it.
- When the chocolate has melted, blend with an immersion blender for a full 5 minutes until no lumps are visible.
- Stop the blender and scrape down the sides of the container with a rubber spatula.
- Immediately portion pudding into individual cups; let cool, and serve at room temperature, topped with whipped cream.
- The pudding will keep, well covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.