Recipe by Sackville
I have also posted a lighter version of this classic French dish (if you can call any version of it "light") but this is the truly indulgent way to make it. Don't even think of looking at that calorie count. Just sit back and enjoy.
Top Review by Sandrine78
Being French I have to advise you the following corrections: the proper cheese to use to make a tartiflette is "reblochon" (which is very smelly) and you should also add 1 glass of white wine (more or less according to your own preference) after you have sautee the onions and the bacon.
- 2 lbs potatoes, boiled,peeled,and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cubed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 lb swiss cheese or 1 lb emmenthaler cheese or 1 lb jarlsberg cheese, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions and salt pork in some butter.
- Grease a gratin dish with some butter, then put a layer of potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Spread the cooked onions and salt pork, then half of the cheese.
- Cover with another layer of potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream on top and finish with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes.