Recipe by twissis
This recipe from *French Bistro and Cafe Cooking* by Pierre-Yves Chupin has a stunning presentation & would be perfect as an elegant dinner party finale, but is also a surprisingly easy make-ahead fix. Per the intro: "Strawberry tart is a classic dessert & a perennial favorite at Chez Serge in Saint-Owen, France. This version is enriched w/an almond cream filling, giving it a deliciously smooth texture & delicate flavor." This dessert looks amazing & for me would not require such excess, but a rose champange was suggested as ideal to pair w/it. *Enjoy* !
FOR THE FILLING
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 tablespoon kirsch
FOR THE BASE
- 7 ounces puff pastry (200 gm)
FOR THE TOPPING
- 18 ounces fresh strawberries (1.1 lb or 500 gm)
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Make filling by mixing the sugar & ground almonds together in a bowl. Then blend in the softened butter, egg, flour & rum (or kirsch). Set aside in a cool place.
- Make bases by rolling out the puff pastry into 4 circles of equal diameter (approx 4-in). Prick the circles well using the tines of a fork, leaving a 1/4-in circular border. Spread almond cream filling over the pastry & allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven & allow to fully cool. Wash, drain, hull & thinly slice strawberries while bases are cooking & cooling.
- You are essentially done at this point & can set aside the bases & strawberries for final assembly at your pleasure. To Assemble: Arrange strawberries on the bases in rosette shapes, sprinkle w/powdered sugar & serve immediately. (So easy! Was I right or not?).