Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Low in fat, high in fibre, we love baked beans. Russ buttered his toast and sprinkled cheese on his beans, I chose to go naked.
- 2 teaspoons butter (I actually used light Logicol)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced smallish
- 50 g lean leg ham, diced
- 1 (425 g) canbaked beans in tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot made mustard
- Tabasco sauce (I estimate I used 1/2 teaspoon)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until softened. I find the lid on creates a bit of steam and they steam/fry in the little bit of fat. Stir them a bit though.
- Add in the garlic, tomato and ham and cook until the tomato has softened.
- Add in the beans sauces, mustard and black pepper and heat til piping hot.
- Serve over toast (buttered or not as you wish).
YUM! I had some baked beans leftover from a party last weekend and so this recipe was PERFECT. I totally reinvented the leftovers - love it! My step mom is leaving town tomorrow and I'm going to give these to my dad for his dinner the next couple of days. . .gonna get some major brownie points for this, as he is a huge fan of beans. Thanks so much for sharing, Jan!
I scaled this back and used 2 x 140 grams of canned backe beans to make two serves 1 each for the DM and the DS using a sharp vintage cheddar grated on top and served toasted wholemeal/wholegrain bread on the side. Thank you JustJanS, made for Make My Recipe - Christmas Edition.