Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A very delicious and quite rich French cake. Originally from the back of a postcard purchased in St. Tropez.
- 50 g flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 150 g sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 25 g softened butter
- 500 g flour
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 liter boiling milk
- 1 drop vanilla essence
- 250 g fresh cream
- First of all prepare the dough.
- In a mixing bowl containing a little warm water, pour in a sachet of yeast stirring in 50 g of flour little by little and leave aside to ferment until the mixture doubles in size.
- In another bowl mix together 150 g sugar, lemon zest, 3 eggs, a pinch of salt, 25 g of softened butter and gradually add 500 g of flour, stirring all the time.
- Add the yeast mixture and knead for a few minutes before covering with a wet tea towel and leaving to rest for 3 hours.
- Place the dough in a high-sided cake tin dusted with flour, brush with egg yolk and bake at 200°C for half an hour.
- When cooked, turn out and leave to cool, then slice in half through the middle.
- Prepare the custard filling by vigorously whisking together 3 eggs, 5 spoonfuls of sugar+ 2 of flour, 1/2 litre of boiling milk, a drop of vanilla essence and pour the mixture into a preheated saucepan.
- Whip 250 g of fresh cream and gently fold in the custard mixture.
- Spread over one of the brioche layers and sandwich together.