1 hr 30 mins
French upside down apple pie with homemade pastry - best served warm with chantilly cream or vanilla icecream
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel, core an quarter apples.
- 2Melt butter in a large saucepan; add apples, sprinkle with brown sugar and lemon juice.
- 3Cook uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes, turning apples as they caramelize (you may need a lid to prevent evaporation).
- 4Place apples, rounded side down in a 23cm pie dish (or oven proof frypan).
- 5Drizzle with half the caramel from the pan, reserve remaining caramel.
- 6Pack apple tightly to avoid any gaps, cover and refrigerate while preparing pastry.
- 7To prepare the pastry process the flour, sugar and utter in a food processor until they are combined.
- 8Add the sour cream and mix again.
- 9Knead dogh on a floured surface until smooth, cover and refridgerate 30 minutes.
- 10Preheat oven to moderate (180c) Roll dough out until large enough to cover apple.
- 11Invert pastry over pie dish and carefully tuck the pastry around the edges of the apples. rush pastry with egg wash for a glaze.
- 12Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until golden and sit for 5 minutes.
- 13Carefully flip onto a serving plate. Reheat leftover caramel and drizzle over pie.
- 14Serve with vanilla icecream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tarte Tatin
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.6
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 66.2 mg
- Sodium 22.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 61.6 g
- Protein 3.0 g