Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Traditional French apple upside down cake.Yummy.
- 8 ounces puff pastry or 8 ounces pie pastry
- 10 -12 large golden delicious apples
- lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- creme fraiche or whipped cream, to serve
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into an 11 inch round less than 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to a lightly floured baking sheet and chill.
- Peel apples and cut them in half lengthwise, core them.Sprinkle them generously with lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 450°F In a 10 inch cast iron pan, cook butter, sugar and cinnamon over medium heat until butter has melted and sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking for 6-8 minutes, until the mixture turns a medium caramel color, then remove the pan from the heat and arrange the apple halves, standing on their edges, in the pan, fitting them in tightly, since they shrink during cooking.
- Return the apple filled pan to the heat and bring to a simmer over medium heat for 20-25 minutes until the apples are tender and colored.Remove the pan from heat and cool slightly.
- Place the pastry on top of the apple filled pan and tuck the edges of the pastry inside the edge of the pan around the apples.
- Pierce the pastry in two or three places, then bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling. Let the tart cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- To serve, run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the pastry. cover with a serving plate and, holding them tightly, carefully invert the pan and plate together(do it over the sink, in case caramel drips)Lift off pan a nd loosen any apples the stick. Serve with warm cream.
Outstanding recipe. It was like the tarte tatins in Paris. If you don't have superfine sugar on hand, you can make it with regular sugar (as I did) but just make sure there is no grittiness after you've cooked the butter/sugar in the pan. Also, I didn't halve my apples, I sliced them and fanned them out in the pan. It was divine!
This was so easy to prepare and so delicious..I didnt have any butter, so subbed I cant believe its not butter, and used one sheet of frozen puff pastry. will definately make this again.