This recipe is from an area in France that is at the border of Germany and used to belong to Germany. The dish is popular in both countries and there are as many variations as families that make it. Eat it as a snack or add a green salad and maybe a hard boiled egg and you have the perfect summer lunch.
- Preheat oven to the highest temperature possible.
- Thoroughly mix flour, oil,water and salt to make a dough (should not be sticky) and roll out as thin as possible.
- Optional:Melt the butter in a pan, add onions and sweat for just a couple of minutes. Add bacon, stir and heat through. If you slice everything thin you don't have to sautée it before putting it on.
- Spread creme fraiche on top of dough, then spread onions and bacon on top of it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put in the oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes. Once the bread looks crispy it's done.
- SUGGESTIONS: Tastes great with a glass of white wine.
- Thin out the sour cream with a bit of cream.
- You could add cumin or grated cheese.
- Top with olives,tomatoes and bacon instead of onions. Or top with spinach,garlic tomatoes and sheep's cheese.
- You could even make a sweet version and top with thinnly sliced apples and cinnamon sugar on top of the creme fraiche.
I have made this at least once a month, after having tried it last in Berlin. We love it. One thing I prefer is to bake the crust about 5 minutes and then spread on the toppings to keep the creme fraiche from 'melting' into the crust. Thanks for the recipe!
This appears to be a good recipe but can we get an English version with our measurements? I would love to try this!! Thanks!
This is so tasty and really easy. I have only done Flammkuchen from a premade dough before so I was very pleasantly surprised that it is in fact not much more work to do it from scratch than to do it from the premade dough. I wish someone would have told me this before, I could have saved quite a bit of money as that the ingredients cost probably a 1/10th of premade stuff! We had it with a Caesar salad as that Flammkuchen compliments salad so well. Thanks!