This recipe is from an area in France that is at the border of Germany and used to belong to Germany. The dish is popular in both countries and there are as many variations as families that make it. Eat it as a snack or add a green salad and maybe a hard boiled egg and you have the perfect summer lunch.
- Preheat oven to the highest temperature possible.
- Thoroughly mix flour, oil,water and salt to make a dough (should not be sticky) and roll out as thin as possible.
- Optional:Melt the butter in a pan, add onions and sweat for just a couple of minutes. Add bacon, stir and heat through. If you slice everything thin you don't have to sautée it before putting it on.
- Spread creme fraiche on top of dough, then spread onions and bacon on top of it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put in the oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes. Once the bread looks crispy it's done.
- SUGGESTIONS: Tastes great with a glass of white wine.
- Thin out the sour cream with a bit of cream.
- You could add cumin or grated cheese.
- Top with olives,tomatoes and bacon instead of onions. Or top with spinach,garlic tomatoes and sheep's cheese.
- You could even make a sweet version and top with thinnly sliced apples and cinnamon sugar on top of the creme fraiche.