1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
A very rich and quite traditional tart from the Gascon region.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the pate brisee (pastry)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
For the Filling
- 1To make the crust.
- 2In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- 3Cut in the butter, mixing with your finger tips or a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 4Add the water, drops at a time, until dough forms--add no more water than absolutely necessary.
- 5On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a disc to fit at ten or ten and a half inch tart mold.
- 6Lay the dough over the mold and gently press it into place on the bottom and sides.
- 7Remove any excess dough and refrigerate the tart mold for at least one hour.
- 8To make the Filling:.
- 9Place the prunes in a bowl and cover with hot water; add the lemon juice and allow prunes to stand for about half an hour or until plumped.
- 10Drain and set aside.
- 11Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 12In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy -- do not under-beat.
- 13Add the eggs one at a time, beating continuously.
- 14Fold in the flour and the ground almonds and mix gently but well.
- 15Pour this mixture into the prepared tart mold, smooth the top with a spatula, and arrange the prunes on top.
- 16Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the surface turns golden brown.
- 17Remove from over and pour the Armagnac over the tart.
- 18Cool for a few minutes, then brush the top with the warm apricot preserves to glaze.
- 19Serve at room temperature.
- 20Note: If the edges of your tart brown too quickly place a ring of foil over the crust.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tarte Aux Pruneaux (Prune Tart --Gascogny)
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 779.8
- Calories from Fat 413
- Total Fat 45.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 170.9 mg
- Sodium 111.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 45.0 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: