Recipe by evelyn/athens
No holiday (read: Thanksgiving or Christmas) table would be complete for me without this pie. Yes, it is sweet. Yes, it is rich. Yes, it is wonderful.
Top Review by Julie B's Hive
Mais c'est si bon! Haven't had Brown Sugar Pie since my MIL died many years ago. We all loved it but because it is so rich it's not one we'll be having again soon but this recipe is definitely a keeper! Thanks Evelyn.
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 cups maple sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1 unbaked 8-inch pie shell
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped with
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Whisk all ingredients until smooth and pour into shell.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes, until filling is set.
- Sugar Pie is best served slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Serve with Chantilly Cream.
- Variation: Add 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts to the filling.